Friday, August 31, 2012

Assignment #1: Favorite & Personal Portraits

Sally Mann "Candy Cigarette" (1989)

Jill Greenberg "Unless" (2005)



 Steve McCurry for National Geographic "Afghan Girl" (1984)

Within the portraits that I have chosen I feel that there is a direct connection to the viewer and subject. Although in the subject is not looking directly at us, there is an empathetic connection. I also like the use of color within the last two portraits. In the first picture by Sally Mann, her daughter is the subject. It is unique because for such a young girl she is represented provacatively. The middle photo by Greenberg is unique because of its use of light and color. The subject glows from behind which gives the the subject a luminescent quality. "Afghan Girl" was photographed by Steve McCurry who did not know who she was at the time of the photo. The subjects gaze is captivating and the surrounding colors mimic her eye color which brings attention to her gaze as well.
Personal Portraiture





No comments:

Post a Comment